SyntheticSound: Experimental Music Chronicles From The Crista Dahl Media Library & Archive
Lief Hall, Gary Bourgeois
SyntheticSound: Experimental Music Chronicles From The Crista Dahl Media Library & Archive, Video Out Distribution
Panel Discussion with Lief Hall, Gary Bourgeois and Alan Kollins: 9:15pm
Following two much lauded screenings in Berlin, Video Out Distribution at VIVO Media Arts is pleased to present the local edition of SyntheticSound, a dynamic video program featuring experimental music as its source.
The program chronicles movements in music composition and performance, multi-media / video experimentation, technological advancements and subculture developments with works dating from the 1960s to the present. Rarely screened works featuring Terry Riley, Throbbing Gristle, Tunnel Canary; multiple Canadian musicians and video artists are highlighted. The archive’s oldest title, Music With Balls (1968), will be screened in all its live video editing glory! All titles culled from The Crista Dahl Media Library & Archive, housed, managed and loved by VIVO Media Arts Centre.
A panel discussion to follow featuring guest speakers Lief Hall, Gary Bourgeoisie and Alan Kollins. Moderated by Shauna Jean Doherty.
Video program runs approximately 95 minutes.
- Generic Video Art, excerpt: Androgina (Laurie McDonald, 1982. USA 01:00 min.)
- Music For Stocking-Top, excerpt (COUM Transmissions, Cosey Fanni Tutti, 1974. UK 11:06 min.)
- Music With Balls, excerpt (Arlo Action, Terry Riley, 1968. USA 05:22 min.)
- 999 Live at Nashville Rooms, excerpt (Fantasy Factory, 1976. UK 05:40 min.)
- The Temple of The Sacred Lady Crayon goes Percussion (Clark Nikolai, 1984. Canada 06:53 min.)
- Tunnel Canary (Eric Lorenz, 2009. Canada 37:00 min.)
- supa girl (Michael Venus, 2001. Canada 04:18 min.)
- Sexnoys (Mathilde Geromine, 2006. Canada 01:29 min.)
- Through The Holes (Elizabeth Vander Zaag, 1981. Canada 03:00 min.)
- Cybernetic Love Triangle (Brendan Baudat, 2008. Canada 02:30 min.)
- Mother and Babe (Lief Hall, 2011. Canada 01:14 min.)
- It’s Hard to Get in My System (Duane Linklater, 2010. Canada 05:42 min.)
- Generic Video Art Redux, excerpt: Androgina (Laurie McDonald, 1982. USA 01:03 min.)
Alan Kollins is a Vancouver based curator who has worked in artist run centres since 2003. He assisted in creating the fifty fifty arts collective (Victoria, BC) where he worked as a programmer and administrator for 7 years. Alan has worked as an administrator at VIVO Media Arts (Vancouver), Open Space Arts Society (Victoria, BC) and as a Distribution Assistant at Video Out Distribution (Vancouver, BC) where he helped maintain a video archive that dates back to 1973. Alan recently co-curated a retrospective screening of Canadian Queer cinema for the Out On Screen Film Festival (Vancouver, BC) in conjunction with the National Queer Database and the Crista Dahl Media Library and Archive at VIVO Media Arts. Alan earned a BA in Film Studies from the University of Victoria. He continues to explore an independent curatorial practice in the Vancouver region.
Lief Hall’s multidisciplinary practice employs light, sound, sculpture and movement to create affective environments. Her installations, performances and compositions induce tension between the virtual and real by projecting 3D computer animation and video onto bodies and fluid sculptural objects made of paper and textiles. She works with the textural and non-narrative qualities of voice to mimic nature, machines and non-human beings; composing a sonic landscape unhindered by formal music structure or symbolic language. This experimentation is expressed in Hall’s current musical projects, the improvisational sound art trio Glaciers and dark electro duo MYTHS.