Job Opportunity: Video Technician and Distribution Assistant
VIDEO TECHNICIAN AND DISTRIBUTION ASSISTANT (DEADLINE JANUARY 2ND 2017)
16 hours/week | Remuneration commensurate to experience
The Satellite Video Exchange Society/VIVO is a non-profit and artist-run media arts centre that encourages and directly supports the creation, production, education, distribution, and appreciation of media works by independent artists and alternative, community-based producers.
Video Out is VIVO’s distribution department that offers video artists professional representation for rentals and sales of their moving image work. Video Out’s distribution collection features over 5000 videos, both historical and contemporary, by video artists from Canada and abroad. Video Out returns 67% of revenues generated from sales, rentals and broadcast licenses to the video producers we represent. Video Out was founded as a non-profit, artist-run distribution centre in 1980.
This is a part-time staff position paid on a bi-weekly basis, responsible for assisting in the technical aspects of Video Out, VIVO’s distribution department. This role completes tasks that range from file transferring, video digitizing, encoding, data organizing, and archive management. This position reports to Video Out’s Distribution and Outreach Manager and VIVO’s Management Collective.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Digitize tapes in the distribution collection upon order requests, converting formats from ½”, ¾”, VHS, Beta, BetaSP, DVCam, and Hi-8 (among others) to .mov, .mp4, DVD, or Blu-Ray
- Digitize tapes from the archive collection on a casual basis
- Act as key point person for external digitizing projects
- Coordinate technical set-up for digitization
- Research and implement new digital reformatting workflows, procedures, and quality controls to maintain/improve efficiency and quality over time
- Research and select appropriate hardware and software upgrades in close collaboration with the Archive Committee and Technical Coordinator
Video Distribution Responsibilities:
- Respond to video file transfer requests to festivals, galleries, and libraries
- DVD authorization
- Accession news works in Video Out’s distribution collection
- Database management (Filemaker Pro)
- Contributes to content on Video Out’s public accounts (VIMEO and videoout.ca)
- Provide support to staff related to digital exhibition of Video Out distributed material
- Maintain and modify existing video archive system
- Archive video documentation of VIVO events and exhibitions
- Archival care and handling of legacy videotapes
- Perform treatments on collection materials including inspection, cleaning, and rehousing
- Enthusiasm for video art; experience in non-profit and artist-run cultures an asset
- Eager to learn emerging technology
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent technical problem-solving skills
- Expert knowledge of a variety of analogue video formats and video decks
- Expert knowledge of video and audio codecs including, H.264, ProRes 422, and .mp4
- Knowledge of obsolete video carriers, playback equipment and transfer technologies
- Familiarity with LTO Archiving technology
- Familiarity with A/V analogue and digital patchbay and video capture cards
- Familiarity with video editing and design software; Final Cut Pro/X, Adobe Premiere, Adobe CC Design
- Knowledge of database management systems an asset
- Knowledge of metadata standards an asset
- Hands-on experience in a video archive or experience digitally preserving audiovisual collections an asset
- Experience with audio remastering an asset
Preference will be given to candidates who have a strong desire to build their knowledge of audio-visual preservation and candidates that can work additional hours when digitization projects come available.
Interested candidates should send their CV and cover letter outlining suitability to the position to firstname.lastname@example.org, attn: Video Out Technician Hiring Committee by 5pm, January 2nd, 2017. Please compile CV and cover letter into 1 .pdf document.
The Satellite Video Exchange Society/VIVO is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from representatives of self-identified underserved communities.
We thank all who express interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be held on January 5th and 6th 2017.