Seeking Emerging Artists to participate in an Upcoming Mentorship
Calling all experimenters with media, technology, light and code to partake in a mentorship series at VIVO Media Arts Centre.
VIVO and artists Alex Beim (of Tangible Interaction), Leó Stefansson and Niel McLaren, are seeking emerging artists between 18 and 24 years, to participate in a 4 week-long mentorship this fall, as part of The Youth Mentorship Series. This series integrates youth (18-24 years) into artist-run centre culture, in order to foster the next generation of local media artists in Vancouver. Students will create new algorithms for HALO, an interactive media art installation, originally built by Tangible Interaction in 2013.
Mentees will be learning either Max MSP or Processing. No previous programming experience required – just a strong desire and commitment to learn. The final piece will be included in an exhibition focussed on algorithmically-generated art.
Halo can be used by creative developers of all stripes; expert coding skills are not required. Participants will need a laptop with their chosen development environment installed.
What is HALO?
Originally supported by the BC Film + Media Interactive Fund, and created with Travis Kirton, Halo is a new, large-scale interactive media-art installation that made its first appearance at Eyeo 2013. The sculptural component is 16′ x 8′ and features a wall of 72 RGB LED ‘Halo’ rings.
Halo was conceived entirely with open collaboration in mind. It’s a physical opportunity for anyone to create content: light, colour, audio, animation.
Interested in Participating?
The hourly commitment is ~27-32 hours for the whole mentorship beginning in August, with a final show in October, and will be taking place on evenings and weekends. Dates TBA.
We are looking for youth ages 18-24 who fit the following criteria:
- Demonstrated commitment to a media artist practice
- aptitude with digital media and computer literacy
- Strong interested in programming
To apply, please fill out the application form below, which includes a request for the following materials:
- Letter of Intent, Describing what they would like to get out of the experience and how they see the mentorships benefiting their practice
- CV / Resume or Biographic Statement
- Index of Support Material, Describing Works, and if possible relevance to mentorship.
- Support Material May Include
- 1-5 Photographs of Exhibited Work
- Up to 5 Minutes of Audio Work (if appropriate)
- Up to 5 Minutes of Video Documentation or Examples Work (if appropriate)
Application Deadline: July 30th
The mentorship will be divided into 2 streams: “Max” and “Processing”.
- Intro session at Tangible Interaction: Saturday, August 20th, 3-5pm;
- Max Stream (Leó): Monday, August 26th, 29th, September 5th and 12th from 6-10pm;
- Processing Stream (Niel): Tuesday, August 23rd, 30th, September 6th and 13th, 6-10pm
- Creation: 4 sessions @ 3-5 hours TBD
- Final Exhibition on October 1st
If you have any questions, please email Emily at education(at)vivomediaarts.com
Applicants Should Be Available in Vancouver, BC, Canada
This program is made possible by the BC Arts Council .