VIVO is hiring
Interim General Manager (Six-Month Contract)
VIVO Media Arts Centre
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until June 30 11:59pm
VIVO Media Arts Centre is one of Canada’s pioneering artist-run centres. VIVO’s mandate is to directly support artists and independent community-based producers to develop, exchange, and disseminate their skills in a supportive environment through accessible services and programs. Our vision is a robust, diverse, and vibrant media arts sector: a catalyst for critical and innovative engagement with the material forms and cultural meanings of media and technology. VIVO benefits from an international reputation built over its rich 43 year history. To support this mandate we offer programming in five key areas:
● Technical: Access to the material necessities for quality production through affordable equipment rental, editing facilities, software, and production space.
● Education: A broad range of skill development opportunities that encourage the exploration of technology and aesthetics within a critical, artistic framework.
● Events and Exhibitions: The programming, facilitation, and execution of events, exhibitions, residencies, co-productions, critical forums for a variety of communities
● Distribution: International distribution, work exchange, and media arts preservation which support the aspirations and livelihood of artists.
● Archive: Western Canada’s largest public reference library and archive of media art, independent video, and related publications, documents, audio recordings, and photographs.
VIVO Media Arts seeks a knowledgeable, skilled, and personable Interim General Manager who can step directly into a leadership position This key role will be of interest to arts professionals with a passion for contemporary art, a wide knowledge of media art and new media practices, a creative vision and team-leading abilities. It presents the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the arts in Vancouver and beyond. The successful candidate will be an individual who is energized by the challenge of working with the history of this longstanding arts organization. During the six-month contract, the Board of Directors will undertake a search for permanent leadership of the Centre. The Interim General Manager will be eligible to apply for the permanent position.
Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the Interim General Manager will:
● Oversee the operations of the Centre
● Provide HR oversight: have input into hiring decisions, supervise and mentor staff
● Oversee the initiatives set out by the education, programming, technical and distribution department managers
● Work with staff and the bookkeeper to develop project budgets, secure funds, and provide financial reporting for grants
● Oversee the overall Centre budget, and provide monthly reports to the board
● Work with the staff and board to ensure financial and risk management controls are in place and that VIVO meets all governance and reporting requirements
● As the main staff liaison to the Board of Directors, ensure transparent communication, work to build the staff/board connection, provide expertise to the board, and support the board and its committees with appropriate administration and reports
● Facilitate policy development
● Facilitate stakeholder engagement, build consensus and communicate effectively
● Act as key spokesperson representing VIVO externally
● Foster partnerships within the local, provincial, and national arts communities
● Develop community and member relations and promote VIVO locally, nationally and internationally
The ideal candidate will have:
● An MA, MFA or equivalent experience in a relevant discipline
● An understanding of the artist-run centre movement and its principal concerns
● An excellent working knowledge of contemporary media art practices
● Enthusiasm for the position and the organization
● The ability to foster a healthy collegial working environment
● Excellent budget preparation, financial management and experience working within fixed budgets
● Excellent communication, presentation, writing, and time management skills
● Strong planning and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize competing tasks
● Proven managerial experience, creativity and vision
● Experience working with a Board of Directors
● Experience with office and data management software, mailing lists, and membership databases
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants are asked to submit a letter of interest and a CV as well as three professional references.
VIVO Media Arts Centre
Attn: Management Hiring Committee
2625 Kaslo Street
Vancouver, BC, Canada V5M 3G9
Subject: Interim Manager Position
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Interviews will take place on a continual basis. We thank all applicants, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Ongoing until filled. WEBSITE: http://www.vivomediaarts.com/
$45,000-$49,000 per annum plus 4% vacation pay.
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org