Advanced Colour Grading with DaVinci Resolve
Catalyze your unique visual style and give depth to your storytelling process in this workshop led by colourist Devan Scott.
This workshop will take place over video conferencing.
12 hours total over 3 sessions, online // $132, or $90 for members
** By donation for those facing reduced income due to COVID-19
Session 1: Fri July 2, 5pm-9pm
Session 2: Fri July 9, 5pm-9pm
Session 3: Fri July 16, 5pm-9pm
All times listed are Pacific Time
Prerequisites & minimum requirements:
- Some prior experience with DaVinci Resolve is recommended, though the instructor will provide online content to cover the basics beforehand if anyone needs to catch up a bit.
- Before the first session of this workshop, participants must download and install the free software Davici Resolve 14 or newer, available here for Mac or Windows: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve. Please check that your computer meets the minimum requirements to run the software. If you need help, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- 50GB or more of free hard drive space (this can be on an external drive.)
- To join the workshop, participants must download and install Zoom Client for Meetings, available free here: https://zoom.us/download
- Before the workshop, participants will be supplied the footage with which to work, and are encouraged to bring their own footage as well.
This advanced workshop expands on the instructor Devan's previous introductory class, diving deeper into the industry-standard software Davinci Resolve through demonstrations and hands-on practice.
Colour correction dramatically affects the mood of your scenes and enriches your storytelling process. If you've dabbled enough to realize the basics, this advanced workshop will deepen your understanding of colour science and the powerful variety of advanced tools available in Davinci Resolve to fine tune the look of your film and video project.
This workshop is structured around a single project provided by the instructor -- a short film made up of a compilation of scenes that will present you and your classmates with various artistic challenges. Though all participants will be provided the same short film project, you will be free to take the project wherever you want artistically, based on your own interests.
- In-depth exploration of the post-production workflow in a professional context
- Matching footage from different camera manufacturers
- Suite setup and display calibration
- Stills gallery management
- LUT usage and creation
- Lightbox: groups, flags, and arranging footage to streamline workflows
- Designing distinct look swatches
- Color space transforms
- Layer mixers & parallel nodes
- Advanced film emulation tools
- Timeline grades vs Group grades vs Clip grades
- Exporting stems and film delivery
This workshop's schedule gives participants time between sessions to practice on their own and come up with questions.
Davinci Resolve is free software and compliments the Blackmagic Cinema Cameras available for rent at VIVO. If you'd like to be notified when Devan runs the intro course again, sign up for VIVO's newsletter: vivomediaarts.com
Devan Scott’s passion for visual storytelling has led to a portfolio of work as a director, cinematographer, and colourist that has been growing ever since. To see his portfolio, visit movingimageagency.com