TouchDesigner for Live Visuals
A beginner workshop on real-time video manipulation for live performance and interactive installations, with artist Yasushi Harada.
9 hours total over 3 sessions, online // $50, or $30 with any VIVO Producer Membership (+GST)
Session 1: Sun, May 17, 1pm - 4pm
Session 2: Sat, May 23, 1pm - 4pm
Session 3: Sun, May 24, 1pm - 4pm
All times listed are Pacific Daylight Time
Prerequisites and recommendations:
- Before the first session of this workshop, participants must download and install the free software TouchDesigner Non-Commercial, available here: https://derivative.ca/download. Please check that your computer meets the minimum requirements to run the software.
- To join the workshop, participants will use the free Zoom Desktop Client, available for free here (click on the Download button under "Zoom Client for Meetings"): https://zoom.us/download.
- Participants must bring their own video files to use during exercises.
- It is recommended that participants use a mouse with 3 buttons, as it makes the workflow much easier.
This online workshop introduces you to live video manipulation for performance and interactive installations using TouchDesigner (http://derivative.ca/).
If you're dizzy after reading the extensive list of features TouchDesigner offers -- realtime 3D rendering & compositing, projection mapping, lighting & audio for live shows, VR tools -- this intro workshop is a good place to start familiarizing yourself with the software and meet other beginners too!
The instructor will encourage participants to keep in touch through Slack and the following TouchDesigner Study Group he organizes: https://www.patreon.com/tdstudy
- Video playback
- Various inputs and effects
- Various operators and ouputs
- User interface
- 3D rendering
- Audio visualization
- Live effects for video conferencing
- Streaming from TouchDesigner
Open lab time will be given to participants, with instructor available for questions.
Participants must bring their own video files to be used during workshop exercises, as well as have a mouse with three buttons.
This workshop will be video recorded for participants to review after the workshop.
Yasushi Harada is an interactive developer, technical director and visual artist born in Tokyo, Japan, currently living in Vancouver. With a background in psychology, he later found his passion for creating visuals with programming languages while he was working at a creative agency. He has worked for brand activation events, museum exhibitions, night club events and music festivals and has focused on creating live visuals and interactive installations mainly with TouchDesigner in recent years. He is a founder and co-organizer of the TouchDesigner Study Group Vancouver.