TouchDesigner for Live Visuals
A beginner workshop on real-time video manipulation for live performance and interactive installations, with artist Yasushi Harada.
9 hours total over 3 sessions, online // $58, or $30 for members
** By donation for those facing reduced income due to COVID-19. Those who can afford the Regular or Member Rate at this time should continue to use those, as it goes directly to helping pay for the instructor.
Session 1: Fri May 7, 6pm - 9pm
Session 2: Fri May 14, 6pm - 9pm
Session 3: Fri May 21, 6pm - 9pm
All times listed are Pacific Time
Prerequisites, recommendations, and requirements:
- Before the first session of this workshop, participants must download and install the free software TouchDesigner Non-Commercial, available here: https://derivative.ca/download. Please check that your computer meets the minimum requirements to run the software.
- Participants must bring their own video files to use during exercises.
- It is recommended that participants use a mouse with 3 buttons, as it makes the workflow much easier.
- To join the workshop, participants must download and install Zoom Client for Meetings, available free here: https://zoom.us/download
This online workshop introduces you to live video manipulation for performance and interactive installations using TouchDesigner (http://derivative.ca/).
If you're dizzy after reading the extensive list of features TouchDesigner offers -- realtime 3D rendering & compositing, projection mapping, lighting & audio for live shows, VR tools -- this intro workshop is a good place to start familiarizing yourself with the software and meet other beginners too!
- Video playback
- Various inputs and effects
- Various operators and ouputs
- User interface
- 3D rendering
- Audio visualization
- Live effects for video conferencing
- Streaming from TouchDesigner
Open lab time will be given to participants, with instructor available for questions.
Participants must bring their own video files to be used during workshop exercises, and are encouraged to use a mouse with three buttons.
This workshop will be video recorded for participants to review after the workshop.
Yasushi Harada is an interactive developer, technical director, and visual artist based in Tokyo. With a background in psychology, he later found his passion for creating visuals with programming languages while he was working at a creative agency. He has worked for brand activation events, museum exhibitions, night club events and music festivals and has focused on creating live visuals and interactive installations mainly with TouchDesigner in recent years. He is also a producer of TDSW (Tokyo Developers Study Weekend), one of the most active TouchDesigner communities in Japan.