Call for VIVO Board Member Nomination
VIVO Board Member Nomination:
Position Details and Outline
Interested in independent media arts, community resource-sharing, and artist-run cultures? With gratitude to the outgoing directors, VIVO Media Arts Centre is seeking 3-6 people to join the Board of Directors for a 2021-2023 term. A volunteer Board of Directors governs the policies and actions of VIVO. Board members are expected to contribute 5-8 volunteer hours per month, depending on committee or executive roles.
Please read this page for information about:
- What VIVO does
- The role of a VIVO Board member
- How to submit your application
- Who we are looking for
What does VIVO do?
Formed in 1973, VIVO Media Arts Centre (incorporated as Satellite Video Exchange Society) is a steward of critical history and an agent for emergent experimental media arts practices. VIVO plays a unique role in facilitating and fostering artistic practices in the region. VIVO builds engaged audiences through workshops, production support, distribution, artist residencies, performances and exhibitions as well as curatorial and archival research. We are also the caretakers of a significant and substantial repository of media art history. We are dedicated to nurturing past, present and future media arts discourses and communities through equitable and public access to resources for preservation, production and dissemination.
With Indigenous sovereignty as a guiding value, VIVO Media Arts Centre is located on the stolen, sacred and ancestral territory of the xwməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
What is the role of a VIVO Board member?
- advance the mission of the Satellite Video Exchange Society/VIVO Media Arts Centre
- hold a fiduciary responsibility to the Society's members to comply to all legal requirements of a non-profit and charitable society
- participate in Board Committees to conduct work, research and offer recommendations to the Board
- contribute to evaluation of Board composition and Committee work on an annual basis
How do I become a VIVO Board member?
- Please complete the Application Form before June 21, 2021 at midnight. We of course will not share your contact information.
- Please send in an updated CV via Application Form or call 604.872.8337 if you’d prefer to communicate your experience verbally also before June 21, 2021 at midnight.
- You are asked to be available for a 20 to 30 minute phone or video call sometime between June 22 and 25, 2021. During this call, we will be reaching out to shortlisted candidates to discuss any remaining details and inquiries we have for you regarding your nomination for the Board. It will also be an opportunity for you to ask questions before the Annual General Meeting.
- Your candidacy will be presented at VIVO’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) in July 2021 (on an online platform).
- VIVO’s membership will elect new Board members by July 31 2021.
- Immediately after the AGM, the board will meet briefly via online platform to set the time and date of the following board meeting.
Who are we looking for?
VIVO welcomes individuals with non-conventional and/or non-formal experiences. This means:
- You are NOT expected to have all the qualifications and skills listed below.
- You do NOT need to have any formal training.
- Your lived and living experiences and perspectives are valued.
Not sure if you qualify? Apply anyway! You might be surprised by how relevant your experience is and how valuable your perspective is!
VIVO values the contributions that members of marginalized and underrepresented communities bring to our organization. We encourage applications from, among others, individuals who identify among or belong to communities of Indigenous people, Black people, people of colour, people with disabilities, 2SLGBTQI+ non-binary/gender non-conforming people, women, formerly incarcerated or institutionalized people, migrant and working class experience. We also understand that applicants may experience a number of these identities simultaneously in ways that reinforce and nuance their experience.
- Enthusiasm for fostering media arts communities
- Commitment to fostering anti-oppressive and social justice values and practices
Additional assets (not required):
- Experience in finance or accounting
- Experience in relevant policy and legal documentation
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, VIVO conducts most of its meetings virtually. Usually, VIVO’s offices and bathrooms are wheelchair accessible. As we are in a shared building, we cannot guarantee a scent-free space however we aim to have a scent-reduced space.
If you have specific questions relating to the accessibility of our online or physical spaces or any aspect of the Board application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604.872.8337
To submit your candidacy, fill out the Application Form and Questionnaire.