Augmented Reality Artworks for Instagram
Turn your physical artworks into interactive 3D filters that respond to mobile camera input, with artist Arman Paxad.
Sign up: https://ar-filters.eventbrite.ca
10 hours total over 4 sessions, online // $105, or $70 for members
** By donation for those facing reduced income due to COVID-19 . Those who can afford the Regular or Member Rate at this time should continue to use those, as it goes directly to helping pay for the instructor.
Session 1: Sat June 12, 1pm-3:30pm
Session 2: Sun June 13, 1pm-3:30pm
Session 3: Sat June 19, 1pm-3:30pm
Session 4: Sun June 20, 1pm-3:30pm
All times listed are Pacific Time
An example of the final product you'll be making is viewable on your mobile device by clicking this link:
Prerequisites & minimum requirements:
- A Facebook and Instagram account (Free, facebook.com & instagram.com) and basic knowledge of social media.
- The latest version of Standard Cyborg's Capture, available free here: https://www.standardcyborg.com/product#capture. Before registering, please check that your device meets the minimum requirements. It runs on Apple iPhone X and all subsequent models; Apple iPad Pro 12.9” (3rd generation), iPad Pro 11” (1st generation), and all subsequent iPad Pro models.
- Android users, please see note below.
- The latest version of Blender, available free here: https://www.blender.org/download. Before registering, please check that your computer meets the minimum requirements.
- The latest version of Spark AR Studio software, available free here: https://sparkar.facebook.com/ar-studio/download. Before registering, please check that your computer meets the minimum requirements.
- A mobile phone or tablet with 3D depth camera (See below for make and model examples). This device needs an internet connection and the Spark AR Player app (setting up the player app will be covered in the class).
- To join the workshop, participants must download and install Zoom Client for Meetings, available free here: https://zoom.us/download.
- Before the workshop, participants will be supplied some files with which to do workshop exercises, and are encouraged to bring their own as well.
This online workshop is for artists who want to use social media as part of their art practice. It shows you how to create a unique 3D filter for Instagram to showcase your artwork. It introduces you to simple 3D scanning, 3D editing, and basic augmented reality software using these free applications:
- Standard Cyborg's Capture is a free app that turns any recent iPhone into a 3D scanner
- Blender is a free 3D graphics application
- Spark AR is a free basic Augmented Reality software
You will be able to create interactive filters and effects that Instagram users can use. Artist Arman Paxad will show you how to create filters and effects that recognize and respond to face movements and other objects through a user's mobile camera.
Learn how to scan an object in 3D from your own surroundings using Capture, then edit the 3D scan files in Blender, and then render and publish it on social media using Spark AR.
By the end of the workshop you'll have created your own AR filter to promote your own artwork as a publicly available filter on instagram.
This workshop's schedule gives participants time between sessions to practice on their own and come up with questions.
Note for Android users:
Standard Cyborg’s Capture and many other free 3D scanning apps rely on Apple’s TrueDepth camera system to provide a detailed scan of objects and environments; therefore they’re only available for iOS and iPadOS as there are a very limited number of Android phones with a 3D depth camera available on the market. However, the instructor will provide information about alternative apps for Android users. All 3D scanning apps use the same general concepts and procedure for scanning objects, so the knowledge shared about Capture will benefit anyone learning 3D scanning apps and what file formats to export for Blender and Spark. Here's a partial list of Android phones that have 3D scanning capability:
- Samsung Galaxy S10 5G, Note10 series, and S20 series
- LG G8 ThinQ
- Huawei P30 Pro, Mate 30 Pro, and P40 Pro
Arman Paxad is a media artist working in video, music, and graphic design.