Music Editing for Solo Performers
Improve the live sound for your variety act or burlesque performance with artist Brett Ashleigh.
9 hours total, over 3 sessions // $92, or $65 with any VIVO Producer Membership (+GST), all equipment provided
Extended subsidy available for this workshop. See registration page for link to application.
Prerequisite: General computer literacy (e.g., saving files, facility with a mouse and keyboard) is required.
This beginner workshop is designed for burlesque or variety performers who want to improve their audio files for playback during their live shows. This is a practical workshop which will present an effective workflow for customizing your act’s audio, smoothing transitions between songs, and even setting up a show control system to automate an entire set list.
Over 3 sessions, you will:
- explore the functionality of cheap/free Digital Audio Workstations and editing software (Qlab, Garageband, and Audacity)
- learn the basic principles of editing audio files
- demonstrate the ability to edit audio files (cut, fade, loop, merge songs etc.) and output their track as a new single file.
- create an automated setlist of 3 songs in Qlab
- work through your challenges with other participants
Bring your own audio. Come prepared with 5 songs, any file type, and you will leave with a killer audio track ready for live performance.
All equipment and software provided. However, participants may bring their own headphones if they wish.
Brett Ashleigh is a sound designer, researcher, and PhD student in Communication at Simon Fraser University. Her work takes an intersectional feminist approach to social issues and provides sound-based interventions.