Music Video Production
Learn to direct and produce music videos with director Hannah Dougherty.
15 hours total over 5 sessions, online // $134, or $92 for members
** By donation for those facing reduced income due to COVID-19
Session 1: Wed May 19, 2pm-5pm
Session 2: Fri May 21, 2pm-5pm
Session 3: Wed May 26, 2pm-5pm
Session 4: Fri May 28, 2pm-5pm
Session 5: Wed June 2, 2pm-5pm
All times listed are Pacific Time
- Participants need access to Adobe InDesign, Premiere Pro, and After Effects. Photoshop is helpful but not required.
- To join the workshop, download the free Zoom Desktop Client. Go to https://zoom.us/download and click on the Download button under "Zoom Client for Meetings". It's best to have the most up-to-date version.
- Before the workshop, participants will be supplied the footage with which to work, but are encouraged to bring their own footage as well.
Music video producers wear many different hats. Music video directors often work with tight crews and need to communicate effectively with cast and crew using the many languages of film including editing, motion graphics, and cinematography. This comprehensive beginner workshop kick-starts your ability to direct and produce by giving you a broad understanding of the entire music video production process, from conception, to directing, to editing.
Discuss what goes into making a stunning treatment that effectively communicates your concept to collaborators and clients. Tackle the particular challenges of cutting images and creating effects in the service of a song.
Students will write a one-pager for a music video concept using Adobe InDesign, and use Premiere Pro and After Effects to cover basic techniques for editing video to music and creating effects.
- music video history, styles, and social context
- understanding music video briefs
- treatment writing for music videos
- basics of graphic design, using Adobe InDesign to communicate your concept
- pitching your idea to the music artist and their management face to face
- basics of music video pre-production: budgets, schedules, casting, crewing, location scouting, story boarding, shot lists, cinematography, etc.
- basics of music video post-production workflow from editing to colour
- basics of motion graphics and VFX such as keying green screens using After Effects
This workshop has been designed for film students, new graduates, or anyone with little to no experience who is interested in breaking into the film or music video industry.
The workshop is structured to give participants time between sessions to practice on their own and come up with questions.
Hannah Dougherty has directed, shot, edited, and animated music videos, television commercials, web videos, and award-winning short films. She is represented as a director and cinematographer by Neer Motion in the U.S and Velvet.la in Australia. Her dedication and reputation for storytelling has catapulted her from Sydney to Melbourne, New York, Paris, and Barcelona, settling in Vancouver. Five of her short films have been selected to screen in international film festivals such as Vancouver International, Flickerfest, and Big Sky Documentary Film Festival. She has been awarded with Best Editing, People’s Choice, and a Vimeo Staff Pick as well as the chance to take part in TedX Sydney and the Berlinale Talent Development program in Germany. Hannah finds new ways to tell stories and form connections with the world around her through painting and short stories, traveling all over in search of adventure, knowledge, and conversations with as many fascinating people as she can find.