Spring Fever | Vancouver Independent Archives 2017 | At VIVO Mar 30-Apr 8
Screening Episodes and celebrating with the Verb Frau TV team
The Satellite Video Exchange Society (also known as Video In Studios, now VIVO, incorporated 1973) was the first video exchange library, one of the earliest international video centres and remains one of Canada’s longest operating artist-run centres. VIVO’s founding mandate was to facilitate international information exchange through a public video library. By the 1980s that mandate expanded to provide access to video equipment, basic workshops, and to disseminate information about media arts to the public. This was achieved primarily through Video Guide, a magazine published by the centre and distributed internationally from 1978 – 1992.
Today, VIVO’s mandate is to directly support artists and independent community-based producers to develop, exchange, and disseminate their skills in a supportive environment through accessible services and programs. Our vision is a robust, diverse, and vibrant media arts sector: a catalyst for critical and innovative engagement with the material forms and cultural meanings of media and technology. VIVO’s programs offer a broad range of services and opportunities to artists and the public. They include:
• Access to the material necessities for quality production through affordable equipment rentals, editing
facilities, software, and production space.
• A broad range of skill development and education opportunities that encourage the exploration of technology and aesthetics within a critical, artistic framework.
• Public programming: events, exhibitions, residencies, co-productions, and critical forums.
• International distribution, work exchange, and media art preservation which supports the aspirations and livelihood of artists.
• Western Canada’s largest public reference library and archive of media art, independent video, and related publications, documents, audio recordings, and photographs.
The Satellite Video Exchange Society (VIVO Media Arts Centre) is a registered Canadian charity.
Charitable tax receipts are issued in accordance with CRA regulations.
Website design by: desiring productions